Thursday, January 28, 2010

False Alarm

Amber has always been "gifted" with the mental power of persuasion. The most recent example of this came late last week/weekend. Amber had a check-up with her OB last Tuesday (January 19th) and during this visit, she informed Amber that she could deliver by the end of the following week. This apparently was all that Amber needed to hear. So we find ourselves on Sunday night, January 24th, watching the Vikings/Saints game. Great game!!! As the game draws to a close in the 4th quarter, score tied, suspense at a high...Amber yells out to me from the back room. (I knew instantly) "I think it's time...pretty sure my water broke." After calling the doctor they told her to go to the hospital to get checked. Ice water in the veins, I calmly go and grab my keys and start the truck so it can warm up. I then proceed to load Amber's largest piece of luggage that is loaded with her "over-night" pregnancy gear. Amber and I would be safe surviving a month with all that is in that suitcase...lol.
The experience itself was great. We quickly learned that I did not choose the fastest route to the hospital. We did, however, realize how efficient and timely it would be once we reached the hospital. We checked in and were all set up in a really nice room within minutes of arriving. The experience was extremely beneficial to both of us. Amber was examined and placed on monitors to measure Reese' heartbeat and contractions. I finished watching the Vikings/Saints game on the 13 inch TV that was in the room. Everything checked out very normal and we found out that Amber's water did not break. I believe the consensus was that she may have had too much pressure on her bladder...aka....Amber's water was no water at all...lol.
Regardless, it was a great experience. I think we both gained a great peace of mind through the process and got a taste of how real this actually is. We had an amazing time to pray on the way to the hospital and an opportunity to breath easy and say our "thank you's" on the way home. We treated ourselves to some Taco Bell on the way home.
We wrapped up the weekend and followed-up this weekend's experience with another sonogram and doctor appointment on Tuesday. I took the afternoon off and we had a terrific time. Amber continues to amaze everyone with her ability to make this process look routine. She is at a very healthy weight and Reese is nearly 6 lbs. However, they weren't able to get an accurate weight measurement because we don't have an accurate head measurement. They average each measurement together and since she is so low we aren't able to get her head measurement. We found out that Amber is about 50% effaced (thinning of the cervix) and dialated to a 1 or 2. She now feels that Amber should deliver by the end of next week, so we will hold our breath on any more false alarms.

No comments:

Post a Comment