Saturday, July 25, 2009

It's a sono party!

Last week Adam and I went to Fredericksburg to see my grandparents. He took a half day so we got there around dinner. My parents were on their way back from South Padre so we all got there the same time. My Oma made an awesome dinner and it was so good getting to spend time with them. Adam left on Sunday because he had to work Monday, but I stayed there until Wednesday with my parents which was nice. I really started noticing how my heart was going crazy when I layed down to go to sleep. It has actually been doing this the whole time, but it started to get me a little nervous. Probably more due to the fact that I was getting no sleep when it would start fluttering like that. I called my doctor and they said it was pretty normal for me to have respiratory changes and to prop myself up. That only helped somewhat and I realized that there are only a few good positions for me to lay in at night. I ended up forcing myself to stay still in a few positions through the night, but then I would wake up with completely numb knees! Isn't that weird? It was like a band was tied around my knee to the back of my leg on the other side and was completely numb! I would reach down to touch it and felt nothing. Who ever heard of your knees falling asleep?! Well, apparently mine do! My Mom one night said, "Amber, remember you are pregnant." It was almost like I had forgetten and was wondering why I felt bad. I had felt good for a few days and I'm not really showing yet so when I started feeling bad I was like, "Why am I not feeling good??". Hmmm... :)

So, Friday the 24th was the first sonogram we had of our little navy bean :) We had a little party of parents that came. My Mom, Dad, Sandy, Gary, and Anita all came! It was nice to have that support. I was nervous about it (imagine that) just because I hear too many things that go wrong (ectopic pregnancies, miscarriages, etc.) and I just prayed that everything was positioned right and that we would hear a healthy heartbeat. She first let me know, as I layed there nervously, that my uterus was tilted. This could mean anything to me. I didn't know if this was a bad thing. She went on to tell me that is the same as the difference between someone having blue eyes and someone having green eyes. I also didn't realize that I needed to go in there with a full bladder so we could see things and hear things more clearly. We stopped at Jack-in-the-Box literally 5 minutes before my appointment for me to use the restroom before we got there. She kept rolling over the same areas. Then, she asked if I still wanted the family to come in. My first thought was, "Why wouldn't I? Is there something not right?" She asked me to hold my breath so maybe we could hear a heartbeat and then we saw the small lines travelling across the screen as we heard a faint "thump-thump...thump-thump". Tears immediately came to mine and Adam's eyes as we listened and watched. We could see the movement of the heart on the screen too. She said, "That's really all I can get today" and I said, "That was enough". I had prayed that we would even be able to hear the heartbeat. I am still pretty early on so that was so amazing to hear and see. Then, everyone else came in. She showed them where our baby was and then she told them we would hear the heartbeat. We heard it and there were some more tears shed, but no words...everyone listened :) Our baby's heart was beating 167 beats per minute (wow...so fast!) and is only 2.37 cm long. She said we are at 9 weeks and 1 day, but I can pretty much guarantee that I am not that far along yet. It's not really possible (I know), but they are currently relying on my cycle date so we'll see :) Today we went to my friend's wedding and tonight Adam is making steaks, mushrooms, rice, and salad. I'm excited! Yesterday after the sono Adam took the rest of the day off. We went to Houlihan's with the family and had some great food! Afterward, Adam and I just played in Firewheel some and then went to Sam's. We watched Valkyrie (sp) last night which was a really good movie. Very interesting. We have so much fun hanging out together doing really nothing at all. I am so blessed in so many ways. :) I pray to never take it for granted.


Here we are about to go in for the sonogram. Neither one of us were completely ready for the picture!


You can see where the baby is positioned and how long it is by the little dots lined up in the center of the picture.




Party at the doctor's office! :)





Lunch at Houlihan's














5 comments:

  1. Amber, I knew reality would set in with the heart beat. I cried when I heard it and cried when I heard yours over 25 years ago. The first sound of your heart beat made me love you that instant.....and every day I love you more!

    Adam, you had the proudest look of love on your face in the sono room. You are going to be an awesome dad....in fact, you ARE a dad! I am so blessed to have YOU as my SON in law!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That whole post made me cry! I am so excited for you guys! The baby will be so blessed to have you guys as parents and your awesome family. Your mom is so sweet, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom: Thank you :) Reality did set in really quick when we heard the heartbeat! I love you more than you know and feel so blessed through the relationship we have.

    Cam and Jill: Awww...thank you! It's all so crazy! Hopefully you guys will be joining us in the near future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for letting us join in on the appointment. It meant alot to us both. We love the baby already also. It is amazing how someone so small can have such an amazing working heart...but then our Creator is the Creator of all awesomeness!!
    We are very happy for you and Adam.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so welcome :) We wanted you there. It is truly amazing that something so small can have a heartbeat! I think that amazed me more than anything else! :)

    ReplyDelete