On my last post I said that we would be doing the c-section on June 15th in the morning. Well, little Miss Berkley had other plans. To start off the day on the 14th I contacted my doctor about contractions and tightness that I had the night before. She told me to continue monitoring it and if they became more frequent to go to L & D. She also let me know that she would be available that day and night before my scheduled c-section which made me feel SO much better. Then, I received a phone call, around 9:45, saying that I needed to be at the hospital for pre-op labs and paperwork by 10:45. I called Adam and he scrambled home, picked me up, and away we went. My Mom stayed here with Reese while we did blood work and answered questions. The poor guy, who planned on taking my blood, was a student at the junior college. After he put on his gloves and got everything prepared he said, "I'm a student at junior college. Is it okay if I take your blood or would you rather someone else take it (which was the girl in the room)?" I said, "I'm so sorry, but I'd rather her do it." He was super nice and understanding, but I knew the last thing he needed was a huge pregnant lady passing out on the table.

36 weeks

36 weeks
After that we went to Palio's and had lunch. I felt such a relief because I knew that even if I went into labor right then that my doctor would be available. I had been on bed rest so long that it was nice to get out and spend some time with Adam. Afterwards we went to Starbucks and picked up a gift card for my doctor and earlier that morning I had my Mom pick up a dozen mini bundt cakes from a local bakery for her as well. I really appreciate everything she did throughout my entire pregnancy and I knew I would have a positive experience at the hospital.
After that we went home and relaxed. I started feeling more contractions, but they didn't seem super consistent. I thought maybe it was the way I was sitting so I rolled on my side and we watched Design Star. I was keeping track of my contractions in my phone as they came. The contractions felt the same as they had for the past several weeks, but my doctor told me to have a low threshold for pain and to call if I had any increased pain/contractions. So, after a lot of debating we decided to head to the hospital. My Mom had taken Reese home with her to stay the night, due to the scheduled c-section the next morning.
On the way I called my doctor's answering service to let them know I was on my way to L & D. When we arrived they hooked me up to a monitor to track the contractions and they started becoming more frequent a little harder. They still felt the same as they did for weeks, but I could see on the screen that they were spiking over 100 on the reading. As I laid there I could see Adam was looking more intently at the screen and he said, "Berkley's heart rate really dropped after that contraction." I looked at the screen and saw that it had gone from 140s to 70s and 80s. An alarm sounded and a nurse came in. Adam asked if that was normal and they said it can happen during a contraction, but it's usually not as good if it comes after the contraction. She had me lay on my side, saying that sometimes the baby can be laying on their cord which can cause that to happen. I started to panic a little bit. It was SO reminiscent of my experience with Reese. Adam had me start quoting scripture aloud. I had started shaking, from nerves, and as soon as I started saying his word my body would calm. I went from being nervous about the c-section to wanting it done as soon as possible. I called my doctor's call line again because the hospital said they had not talked to her yet. However, within 15-20 minutes the nurse came in, said they talked to my doctor, and she was on her way. They said we would be doing the c-section that night. They immediately started prepping me and gave Adam a mask and a wristband. The nurse put in my IV, which apparently made a mess (I didn't look), but Adam was like, "How are you feeling?" because apparently blood went everywhere. I was good though. God was already giving me a peace.
The anthesiologist came in and introduced himself. He made me feel at ease right away. Adam asked a few times where they wanted him and they told him to stay in the triage room until they came back for him. They wheeled me back to the operating room. I asked if they would give me anything to calm my nerves a little, but not knock me out. He explained that any kind of meds like that would make Berkley sedated when she came out. He said that women get a little freaked out sometimes with the feeling (or loss of feeling) from the spinal, but it's all over quick and before you know it your baby is here. I experienced all of this with Reese, but it was different. Adrenaline was going, I had already gone through labor to a 9, and I was in a different place. This time I was much more aware. He had me sit up, hold onto a pillow, and get ready for the spinal. He said that it was very similar to an epidural and that I was a "dream" for a spinal. My friend had a spinal headache after her c-section so I asked him about that. He was surprised that she got one from a spinal and reassured me that it was super rare which was comforting too. I felt the medicine go in and travel down my spine. He told me it would act fast and he wasn't kidding! He said, "Are your legs tingly and heavy?" and surprisingly they already were. He said, "Okay, let's go ahead and get you laid down before they go completely numb and you can still help us."
So, as I was going numb I could feel the sheet come off and I was reminded once again how there is absolutely no modesty in the world of delivery. I just laid there as they continued prepping the room and getting ready. I continually said scripture in my head. I kept quoting, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again 'Rejoice'. Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." I pictured Paul in prison as he wrote these words. He was in the most dire of circumstances, yet he said to REJOICE and to NOT be anxious. It took them 20-30 minutes to prep everything and then I heard a nurse say, "Okay, go get Dad." Adam said he was getting anxious waiting and was within five minutes of going to check on things.
They started pretty much right away when Adam walked in. He sat beside me the whole time, holding my hand, like he did last time. My doctor said, "How about we turn on some music? Amber, what would you like to hear?" I didn't care, but I loved the idea of music. My doctor said, "What about Adele?" I said that sounded great and they turned it on. The anthesiologist and my doctor were talking about homes they were looking at and building. I told them how we were doing the same thing. Adam said, "It's just another day in the office for them." As I talked my voice got weaker and weaker sounding. Luckily Adam was close by because I don't think he would've been able to hear me :) There were a few times, with all of the tugging and pulling, that Adam would look on the other side of the sheet and then look at me and say, "You doing okay?" I knew things must look pretty crazy on the other side, but I was doing pretty good. I could see some of the reflection from the silver overhead lights above me, but I kept my head turned so I couldn't see too much. Before I knew it I heard Berkley's little cry. My doctor laughed and said how chunky and snuggly she was. She weighed in at 8 pounds, 2 ounces, and 20 inches! I can't imagine how big she would've been if I went past 37 weeks with her! They cleaned her and gave her to Adam. She was beautiful! The first thing I thought about was how much she looked like Reese. She was bigger, but the resemblance was crazy! I loved hearing her. It's so surreal to have her moving around in you one second and then to hear her cry the next. The anthesiologist asked if we wanted pictures and he took some of the three of us and some of her coming out. I definitely saw more than I planned on seeing when I looked through my camera, but it was really interesting too. Crazy to see yourself like that!
They told Adam that he could go out in the hallway with Berkley (like he did with Reese) and to the nursery. However, as soon as they took her out I started sweating a ton and feeling super hot. I didn't want him to leave. I asked for a wet rag and Adam put it on my head. This last part took the longest and I remember starting to be like, "Okay, I'm done." and started getting a little stressed. I was shaking like crazy from the spinal and the anthesiologist said, "I'll give you a little something to take the edge off." I told him that I didn't want to be knocked out too much, but just a little! :) The meds helped enough to relax my body just enough even though I was still over it all. Very strange feeling of the c-section itself, along with not feeling half of my body, and being incredibly hot. I seriously felt on fire! However, after 30 minutes or so (I think) we were done with that part and I got wheeled back to my room. I was still shaking from the spinal and I really only wanted to see my parents. Adam went in the hallway with all of our family and friends. My Mom and Dad came in and immediately my Mom started crying (shocker) and said, "Amber, I love you so much." She had already given my doctor a hug too. Last time, with Reese, Adam came out in the hallway with her and let everyone know that things were good. This time, since I wanted him back there with me, he didn't and that unnerved my Mom when she didn't see him. I told my parents how everything went and I asked for a fan immediately. My Mom gave me ice chips and they brought in juice as well. I was SO dang hot, sweating through everything.
After my parents left Adam came in and so did a few nurses. They took my vitals, cleaned me up (once again, all modesty is out the window between me and Adam), and put on a binder, which my doctor requested for me. It wrapped around my stomach and incision area and had velcro on the edges to secure it. It felt great. They gave me some Motrin in my IV because I didn't want any crazy pain meds. We stayed in this room for a bit, but because the hospital was full of pregnant ladies they moved me to a smaller room in post-partum. That first night consisted of many visits from hospital staff. They continually took my vitals, along with blood, and checked my incision. The next morning my doctor told me my blood count was lower than expected, but it ended up being okay after it was tested a few more times. Berkley was doing great too. When she was first delivered her blood sugar was low so they immediately gave her a bottle. She also had a small fever the next morning, but after 3 readings it was gone. They weren't really sure why she had it, but they weren't concerned at all.
Before the C-section--just got my IV
Adam's ready
Here we go...
On our way to meeting Berkley
She's here!
They are putting everything back together here...
Berkley and her Dad
Little Berkley
Family and friends
Sweet Reese
McDonald's treat from Grammy and Paca
Flowers from my parents
Adam was absolutely AMAZING again. He slept in the uncomfortable chair/bed beside my bed for three nights. Anytime throughout the night that I needed him he was up, out of the bed, and by my side. He helped me to the restroom, with the shower, and encouraged me continuously. He made me feel beautiful even though I was a MESS and just kept hugging me saying how much he loved me. He was completely selfless and kept putting me above his own needs. If I was uncomfortable with something he would have just the right words to make me feel reassured. After my shower he had everything set up beside my bed, ready for me to use (eye makeup remover, blowdryer, make-up, etc. etc.). He was always one step ahead, constantly taking care of me and listening to EVERY concern, thought, and idea. On our anniversary he made a trip to Starbucks, bought us drinks, and got us treats from there. I could not have asked for a better husband and friend. He was in a great mood the whole time, even though he was exhausted and uncomfortable. Anytime Berkley was in the room he was holding her, taking care of her, and making sure she was doing good. He called Reese a few times, at my parents, to see what she was up to. He was taking care of all of his girls at once :)
Since we have been home we have felt so much more prepared than we did with Reese. It has been so much less stress because we know more of what to expect. Adam has continued to be amazing. Before we got home he said, "Okay, you can stay in the car with Berkley and I will get the couch setup for you. What do you want beside you? Your water, purse, laptop, and what else?" When I walked in the house he had it cleaned, vacuumed and the couch ready. He had all of my "necessities" within reach along with the jar of Ritz crackers. It felt unbelievably wonderful to be home. My parents came over shortly after we got home to bring Reese. She came in the house and seemed a year older to me. She came up to me and gave me a hug. She wanted to sit with me on the couch immediately.

Apparently she had told my parents that she missed me and Adam and wanted to see us. She had not had much of an appetite the last few days and was having issues using the restroom. I thought it may be due to the change and with Berkley being here, but the next day it continued. She didn't want to eat anything and even turned down a cookie. I called the doctor and Adam took her to a last minute appointment. While they waited on the doctor Reese was a little fussy, but ran around the room and sat on Adam's lap, playing with his buttons. They noticed that her neck seemed stiff and she wouldn't turn to look at them. I received a text from Adam saying that Reese tested negative for strep and they were concerned thinking it could be meningitis. I wasn't real sure what all meningitis entailed, but I knew it wasn't good. After reading about it and the difference between bacterial and viral meningitis I was super concerned. They wanted him to take Reese to Children's Hospital. My Dad came over (my Mom was already here) and we prayed...and cried...and prayed. They thought it looked like viral meningitis because she didn't look super sick or seem too terrible like a child who would have bacterial meningitis. They wanted to do a lumbar puncture to test for it, but Adam wanted to do that as a last resort. They decided to give her Ibuprofen. They said if her neck loosened up and if she started feeling better from an Ibuprofen that it couldn't be meningitis. They also gave her a popsicle. Within no time at all our prayers were answered and Reese was looking side to side and had a lot more energy. The doctors confirmed that she had a viral infection and NOT meningitis. They discharged her and said if it continued to go to her pediatrician. It didn't require an antibiotic or anything.
The next morning we took Berkley to her first follow-up appointment to check on her bilirubin number (think that's what it's called) to test for Jaundice. They also checked Reese again and saw that her throat was red and her nodes were swollen, which probably contributed to the stiff neck. She said she saw no signs of meningitis at all.




Berkley looked great and we will take her again in a few weeks for her first shots and check-up. Reese stayed a little lethargic for a few days, but she is back to herself now. She is much more clingy, more than likely due to the arrival of Berkley, but she is also very excited about Berkley. She is always rocking her bassinet, or pushing the button to play the terrible pre-recorded song that plays. Seriously, the woman that sings is awful! It makes me and Adam laugh every time. Reese helped my Mom rock/bounce Berkley to sleep in her chair yesterday. It's so sweet to see Reese's excitement toward Berkley. She is so gentle with her. The other night Sandy brought an amazing dinner over and Carly came over as well. Mandy and Tramphis stopped by too. We are so blessed by such wonderful family!

Reese helping Lynna rock Berkley to sleep

Berkley was crying so Reese decided to rock her
Yesterday I went to my follow-up appointment with Adam and Berkley. I knew they would want to see her at the office. I didn't bring Reese to my follow-up appointment after I had her and I soon realized I should have. The appointment went great. She said my incision looks wonderful and I shouldn't have any problems. Last night and today I noticed some signs of puffiness above the incision, which automatically put me on edge after what happened last time, with it opening twice. I called the doctor on call and they said they would prescribe an antibiotic just to be on the cautious side of things. They also told me to cut down my activity level from what I have been doing. I haven't been doing a ton, but the last few days have been more active. We had our first family outing (beside the doctor's office) as a family of four Thursday night (June 21) by walking around Bass Pro and eating there. The next day (yesterday) we had my doctor appointment, I stopped at Kid to Kid, and then the four of us ate at a little Mexican restaurant before coming home. Don, Sara, and Carly came over yesterday as well. It was probably too much activity out of nowhere, but it felt so good to get out after being on bed rest for weeks and laying down so much! So, today, after my phone call to the doctor, I have been laying down doing pretty much nothing! I pray that things continue going smoothly. My incision looks GREAT overall and I pray it all stays that way :)
So, this was a super long update with a lot of pictures, but I wanted to write it all down incase I forgot anything!




Loved the update & the pics!!!
ReplyDelete