Adam and I are constantly reminding Reese to say "thank you". Even, for the little things we are continually saying, "Reese, what do you say?" She needs reminders. She is getting better, but it is something we need to keep on with consistently. It is easy for her to get distracted. She will get her prize, whatever it may be (Craisins, gift, her juice, etc.), and go on about her business. Most of the time we are there to nag her, following her around, reminding her to "say thank you". We do this in hopes that it becomes a part of who she is. We pray that she has a thankful and giving heart toward others. We remind her now so maybe it will become a natural reaction, instead of something to be reminded of later.
Are we like a child at times? Are we in the practice of saying thank you?
I am sure we have the best intentions at times, but as time passes we forget to say thank you to those most deserving. There are even those little things where we need to show thankfulness. Whether it be to the person holding open the door for you at Taco Bueno or the great aunt who gave you the floral knit sweater for Christmas, be thankful for them and what they have done for you. Go the extra mile. If you feel led to thank the author of a book you are reading for their words and how they have impacted you by all means DO IT, even though you may think it will never reach them. You never know how your thank you will impact the people whom you thank.
Thank people without the expectation of a reaction or feedback of any kind. Your heart needs to be full of thankfulness and not one of want. If the situation is right, an anonymous thank you note can be the perfect sign of appreciation. By doing this, you are not looking for credit, but fully giving your thankfulness to that person, without thinking of yourself.
After having Berkley I asked around to find out how I could find the anthesiologist I had during delivery. He was wonderful and I felt that he needed to know. However, whenever I mentioned this at the doctor's office to a few in order to find out where he would be on call there was serious surprise in their voices. I could tell that it was something that may not be done too often. It was an immediate reminder of how I really needed to follow through with this thank you in particular. I did not need to let enough time pass that I would forget, or just let it go.
You never know how your thank you (or lack of thankfulness) can possibly impact another. We need to be mindful of how we effect those around us and take just a moment to say thank you to those who are constantly serving all around us. It takes our minds off of ourselves and helps us to focus on others.
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vein conceit. Rather in humility, value others above yourselves not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others."
Philippians 2:3-4
"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18
No comments:
Post a Comment