Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My First Mother's Day

This last weekend was really special with it being my first Mother’s Day with little Reese. When I woke up Sunday morning Adam had Reese in her swing sitting right beside our dining table. He had made cinnamon toast, cut up fruit, an egg scramble with pico, sausage, and coffee. Sitting beside my plate was a James Avery bag and card. He bought me a “Mommy” James Avery charm for my bracelet and a gift card to be used at a local salon and spa. It was such a nice morning and Adam made me feel so special. He also took some pictures of Reese and me since we don't have too many of the two of us.


















During lunch on Saturday we took Sandy out to eat which was really nice. It was really nice weather and it was great to spend time together. Afterward, we went to my parents and had hamburgers. I gave my Mom a necklace that had a picture of Reese in it and a framed writing that I did for her. This is what I wrote:


What is a Mom?


A Mom is the one who puts her child’s wants and needs before herself. A Mom loves to take her daughter to the zoo and feels joy in seeing the excitement spread across her daughter’s face as she sees the animals for the first time. A Mom spends time making scripture cards so that her daughter will grow a heart that only loves the Lord. A Mom sacrifices her own wants when she stops working and decides to stay at home with her daughter. A Mom also sacrifices when she returns to work and each morning gets her daughter ready, works all day, and then grocery shops with the hopes of finding the perfect ingredients for the meal she will make that night for her family. She delights in her daughter’s happiness and mourns with her daughter’s tears. She takes her to basketball games, track meets, and volleyball games. She cheers her on during each event, even though she has very little interest in the sport itself. Her passion is not with the sport, but with her daughter instead. She sits on the couch, in their mobile home, beside their small Christmas tree, with all the lights out, and tells her the story of Saint Nick. A Mom teaches her daughter to dream and to use her imagination. She teaches her to put others before herself. A Mom is also the one who can bring her daughter back to reality when she gets out of line. A Mom teaches her daughter to see God in all of the creation that surrounds her. She spends countless hours sitting on her daughter’s bed and holding her as she cries over friends and boys. She holds her and lets her know it will be alright and her daughter always believes it. She counsels her with the words of Christ and teaches her about what truly matters in this life. She is always ready to listen whether it is 10 a.m. or 4 a.m. Her bed is always open to her daughter when she has a nightmare and wants to crawl into the safety beneath the blankets. The phone line is always open, no matter the time, she is always there. When her daughter thinks it may be fun to model, she reluctantly takes her to a few casting calls, praying the whole time that it does not work out. This is of course for her daughter’s sake. She excitedly helps pick out all of the flowers for her daughter’s wedding. She spares no expense as she helps her pick out the dress her daughter will wear as she marries the love of her life. The man that she always prayed her daughter would marry. She goes on trips with her daughter where the talking and laughter never stop. A Mom is the person that a daughter knows she can always trust and go to for absolutely anything. She is a safe place where judgement will never fall. A Mom is the one that holds her daughter’s hand in the hospital. She continually reads scripture to her as her very own daughter, that she always put first, becomes a Mom herself.


The next day, after my mother’s day celebration, we went to visit Gary and Anita to celebrate with Anita. We had a nice, relaxing time there and then headed to my Granny and Papa’s where the rest of the Martin family was hanging out. Overall, it was a really special weekend. I will see my Oma next month to celebrate with her! :)


Adam and I started doing something this week that I really hope we continue. We both realized that the moment he gets home, we talk for a little bit, grab our dinner, and sit in front of the TV to watch our shows until we fall asleep. We have a lot of fun doing this, but we see TV as being a distraction for us too. So, we decided on Mondays and Wednesdays we won’t watch TV at all. Instead, we will read in a devotional I have about John, eat dinner at the table together, play games, or do whatever. This last Monday we played a game called Scrabble SLAM which was fun and we laughed so much. We had a blast together and I really feel like we had a great conversation about John and his devotion and faith. We will continue this tonight which I’m looking forward to. That’s the advantage of DVR...we can watch our shows at any time! It allows us to arrange our schedule around our shows instead of the other way around. We hope that it’s something we continue even as Reese gets older and it’s something we can all do together.


So, I was supposed to get my wisdom teeth taken out on Friday, but due to some confusion with our insurance since we switched over I will have to wait until August or September. It completely stressed me out at first because I had mentally prepared myself for Friday and now to know that I have to wait 3 more months is a real bummer. I was also stressed because of the condition of my teeth. The oral surgeon said that if I wait I have a 50/50 chance of losing the molar beside my wisdom tooth as well. In addition, I have a possible cyst underneath that has formed and is eroding my jawbone. I also have three cavities that have formed that can’t be worked on until the wisdom teeth are gone. I had only had one cavity before I was pregnant and that was when I turned 24. None of this was surprising because he said a lot of craziness probably started happening during my pregnancy, but now it is a little stressful to have to wait. They said they strongly doubt it is cancerous, but their main concern is the molar beside the wisdom teeth. I was reminded by my Mom that God knew we would have these complications with scheduling and insurance. He also knew that I wouldn’t have the appointment this week. He has it all under control. I want to use this time as an opportunity to grow in my patience and my overall trust in Him. So...now I’m just waiting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment