Here it is week 17 and I am still feeling pretty good. I haven't really put on much weight, in fact I think I have actually lost 5 or 6 lbs. Amber has been a warrior though and is really making this whole pregnancy thing look easy. It has become the norm to find her early Sat morning cleaning, having her quiet time, and making me amazing breakfasts. Last weekend she made some new breakfast casserole with croissant rolls, breakfast sausage, eggs, and cheese. It was amazing!
This entire process to date has been a rush. I still find myself scratching my head wondering where the time has gone. Amber's growing tummy is the only tangible sense of reality that I can see on a daily basis. It is really something special to see her change and develop and to know that beyond the physical changes, Amber is growing as a mother daily. Her physical, emotional, and spiritual connection to our child strengthens daily too. It is something that I am proud to witness but often jealous that I can't feel in the way that she does. Regardless, there is no one that I would trust more than her.
This past week was a tough one as one of my close friends and dearest colleagues tragically died on Tuesday morning. It is through events like this in life that we truly re-evaluate the friendships and relationships that we participate in every day. This realization gave me great sadness to know all of those that were affected by the death of my friend, but what is more important is the great hope, love, and appreciation that this tragedy reflected in my other relationships. I have thought a great deal of what our child will look like, be like, do, and how they will affect those around him/her. The passing of my friend Ben was a stark reminder of how strong an individual's influence can be in the lives of those around them.
Friends and family have been a major support along with some much needed one-on-one time with Amber. Friday night Amber and I decided to make it a date night. We really didn't do much but we had a blast. We have been on this saving money kick so we decided to use some coupons and go to Sonic. She wanted to get our brown bag specials and go back to the house to eat, but I wanted to eat in the truck. We stayed at sonic and ate and died laughing about the dumbest things. To be honest, I don't even know what was so funny but I do know that Sonic was trying to mislead us by saying that that "there is a direct correlation between Tots and Straight A's". I don't believe this is true. I also ordered a hot fudge sundae after my burger because we had a coupon for that too. I felt sick afterwards.
We went to Ben's funeral on Sat and then I went over to Don's to help him move a washer, dryer, and glass door. Afterwards, I came home and hung out with Amber until we left to have dinner with Lynne and Mike. Lynne made a hot dog bar, complete with chili, cheese, relish, mustard, ketchup, and sweet potato fries. We had a selection of hot dogs to chose from ranging from kosher franks to cheese dogs. It was a lot of fun. Mike and I watched the UT vs TxTech game while Amber and Lynne talked as loud as they could the whole time. Texas won!
We went to church on Sunday and attended a hot topic Sunday school series for expecting parents. It was a good class but our instructor was extremely unique...eccentric might be a better word. Hannah joined us which was great. Afterwards, Amber and I went to Friday's and ate appetizers and watched football games. Hannah came over later that day and watched the Cowboy game with us. The Cowboys soon became the disappointment of the weekend when they lost to the Giants.
So sweet of you to contribute to the blog :)
ReplyDeleteYou both are going to be awesome parents and I can't think of anybody else I would rather Amber be married and having a child with than you! So sorry to hear about your friend at work :(
Better watch out all that food is gonna catch up to you though :P Nice to see Amber's motherly instincts coming out already! I am very proud of you both!!