So, clearly it's been a while since I have posted on this blog. I had a separate journal going for this sweet girl, but as this pregnancy has gone along I have found myself referencing this blog more and more, to make comparisons and see where I was at this point in the game during past pregnancies. I wanted to be able to look back on this blog and see this third pregnancy documented just like the first two, so even though I am quite behind I will do a little backtracking up until today, bedrest at 29 weeks. So, here we go.
Ever since we had Berkley, we debated like crazy if we wanted a third. I would see families with three or more and would wonder. Pros and cons would consume me and I had to keep letting it go, giving it up to God, and put those thoughts away. I wondered how the girls would react, if they would be as close, and if life would just get too crazy hectic?! I knew things would need to change like room arrangements, potentially a different vehicle, and of course finances. However, earlier this year, we got tired of the debate. I knew that I couldn't plan for the pros or the cons and I really did not know them anyway. Every family is different and has their own set of challenges, whether you have one kid or seven!
God spoke to me one day and said, "Amber, what if this child that I may have planned for you is more about my glory than yours? If I bless you with this child, I have great plans in store for their life. It's not all about you and what you may or may not want. It's about my glory, through you and this child." This was eye opening for me. For years I had been so consumed with the pros and cons for our family. Sure, I wanted His will, but I was thinking so much about how it would effect our family instead of how this child could be used for Him.
One day, I just truly let it go. I said, "God, we could wish for a child all day, but if it isn't your will it just won't happen. I have to let this go and just trust in your will and guidance over mine." So, that was it, and shortly thereafter (a month and a half later) I saw a faint pink line on a strip! To confirm it, with a digital test, I ran over to Publix before Adam got up. I came home and took the test. Within seconds "Pregnant" popped up. Adam was half awake and said, "So...?" as I brought the test to show him. We had a pretty good feeling that I was and we were so excited, not to mention a little shocked/overwhelmed! Before he went to work we ran outside and took a picture of all of our feet with a circle around an empty pair of shoes where we wrote "Coming soon!" We explained it to the girls and they both understood, but especially Reese. She was sooo excited. The girls from that point on wanted to tell everyone, but we kept it quiet for a bit.





Had to have lower maintenance hair so I chopped it off!







At 15 weeks we went to a place in Nashville to find out if we were having a boy or a girl. I knew right away when they showed her on the big screen in the room. The sonographer quickly said, "Well, do you want to know?" We had him quietly tell us because we didn't tell the girls right away. There was a part of us that thought it may be fun to have a boy, but honestly, we had such a joyful peace about it all. We really didn't care. We just wanted a healthy, happy baby in there. Afterwards, we went to a BBQ place for brunch called Edley's. It was super good and we had a great time. When we got home we gave the girls silly string cans and took the lids off so they wouldn't know the colors. On the count of three we had them spray each other, not knowing if blue or pink would come out. They had a hard time with the triggers, but they finally got it out and were so excited about having a little sister on the way! I'm pretty sure that was their preference anyway. :)
As the weeks passed I started struggling with nausea, fatigue, and asthma like crazy. I ended up having to up my asthma medication, be on nebulizer treatments, and even needing to take a round of steroids. I had a hard time walking from my room to the kitchen! Apparently pregnancy can enhance asthma symptoms in a third of women and obviously I was in that third! After finding a good combination of medications things started improving. I have been able to lessen what I take for my asthma since then. Big, HUGE improvements for sure.



My doctor sent me to a Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist to stay on top of the placenta abruption complications I had with Reese's delivery. Everything checked out well and they suggested that I start Progesterone shots to prevent preterm labor. However, after speaking to my doctor, she encouraged it, but didn't push it based on the fact that I did deliver both the girls around 37 weeks, despite being dilated much earlier. With everything else I was taking I decided to opt out of the Progesterone shots at that point.

While I was visiting my family in Texas I started feeling increased contractions. I knew they were Braxton Hicks contractions, but they were frequent and starting up much earlier than other pregnancies. I believe it was around 16 weeks. Mom and I made a trip to the hospital, where they checked her on a sonogram and sent me to a local doctor to check my cervix. I was having Braxton Hicks contractions and I had an infection as well which was treated with antibiotics.



We ate at Mamacita's before my doctor appointment :)
We ate at Mamacita's before my doctor appointment :)
During the summer I tried to take the girls to the pool as much as possible, but when my asthma was kicking it wasn't quite possible. However, we did end up going often, and the girls had so much fun. They also did summer camp a few mornings a week which was great for them because they took them to the pool too.






19 weeks
19 weeks
We have had a hard time with names in the past and this round was no different. We knew from the beginning we wanted to the middle name to be Lou after my grandmother and Aunt. I later found out that my great grandmother's middle name was Lou too. I had a list on my phone with boys and girls names that I liked, but for the most part, we didn't agree on them. One night, as Adam camped in the backyard with the girls, I texted Adam, "What about Maizy Lou?". He said he liked it. It definitely was not set in stone, but we knew it was a contender for sure. Where did we get the name Maizy you might ask? The 1980s film Uncle Buck with John Candy. Funny as that is, I have always loved the little girl's name on that movie. I was raised watching that movie, along with other John Candy movies, and here it was...Miss Maizy Lou.

I got this dresser to refinish for Maizy's room. Pictures to come!


The girls LOVE to feel Maizy moving around :)

Out looking at Maternity clothing with Reese






Shopping for Fall and items for Maizy's room at Hobby Lobby!
I got this dresser to refinish for Maizy's room. Pictures to come!
The girls LOVE to feel Maizy moving around :)
Out looking at Maternity clothing with Reese


Shopping for Fall and items for Maizy's room at Hobby Lobby!
So, fast forward to now. About two weeks ago my Mom came into town for my baby shower. My sweet friends here threw me an absolutely perfect shower. I was undecided if I wanted one this round and I am so very glad I did. As I got our house ready for a baby shower that I was hosting, a month before my own, I thought, "I don't want to miss out on this just because I get nervous about being the center of attention, or the focal point." While Berkley was in school one day, Reese and I went to Target and I let her scan the items we would register. We had a great time. She also ended up joining me at the shower and Adam took Berkley out on a date. It all turned out so perfect. Mom got a pedicure and I got a pedicure/manicure the day before the shower and we also went to eat at Outback. The first week my Mom was in town was jam packed full of activities. We were busy busy, but had a great time.

Going to see Secret Life of Pets the first day my Mom arrived--it was all a big surprise for the girls!

















My shower was on Sunday and on Wednesday I started feeling increased contractions throughout the day. I could just feel the shift. After speaking to my doctor's office I headed to the hospital. Maizy sounded great, but after being checked we found out I was dilated to a 1. I was put on an antibiotic as a preventative incase I had a UTI and scheduled an appointment with my doctor for Friday to take the Fetal Fibronectin test to check for potential preterm labor. After going Friday, she said the test would need to be sent to Birmingham, Alabama and we would receive the results probably by Saturday. However, after being home for about 3-4 hours I received a text from my doctor asking me to call her. It turned out that she got the results back and they were positive. This meant that I had a 50/50 chance of delivering within the next two weeks, but I could also hold out too. It just showed an increased chance. She sent me to Labor and Delivery where I received my first steroid injection to help develop her lungs incase she came early. I did this with Berkley as well, but at 31/32 weeks, not 29 weeks. However, with Berkley I never tested positive on that test like this time around. She started me on both Procardia and Progesterone to hopefully stop or at least slow things down.
Going to see Secret Life of Pets the first day my Mom arrived--it was all a big surprise for the girls!
My shower was on Sunday and on Wednesday I started feeling increased contractions throughout the day. I could just feel the shift. After speaking to my doctor's office I headed to the hospital. Maizy sounded great, but after being checked we found out I was dilated to a 1. I was put on an antibiotic as a preventative incase I had a UTI and scheduled an appointment with my doctor for Friday to take the Fetal Fibronectin test to check for potential preterm labor. After going Friday, she said the test would need to be sent to Birmingham, Alabama and we would receive the results probably by Saturday. However, after being home for about 3-4 hours I received a text from my doctor asking me to call her. It turned out that she got the results back and they were positive. This meant that I had a 50/50 chance of delivering within the next two weeks, but I could also hold out too. It just showed an increased chance. She sent me to Labor and Delivery where I received my first steroid injection to help develop her lungs incase she came early. I did this with Berkley as well, but at 31/32 weeks, not 29 weeks. However, with Berkley I never tested positive on that test like this time around. She started me on both Procardia and Progesterone to hopefully stop or at least slow things down.
I went back in on Saturday for a second steroid injection and also had her monitored again. Since taking these medications I have felt her less so I just wanted to check in on her. Yesterday, Sunday, I stayed in bed most of the day, writing thank you cards, and watching TV with my Mom. However, somewhere in the middle of it I started to become concerned. I was told that I should feel 10 movements an hour and I was no where even close to that. I got up and told Adam that I wanted to go back to the hospital. I still didn't feel the movements very frequently there, but she did great on the monitors. This medication lowers my blood pressure and makes me light-headed, red-faced, and exhausted. She ended up stretching out my dose to every eight hours versus six. Today, I have felt her move much more which is SO great. However, I have also had more contractions or "uterine irritability" today too.

My Mom extended her trip and we are just playing it all be ear. Her being here is BEYOND a blessing. She has picked up the girls from school, made dinner, taken care of the girls, done loads and loads of laundry, and cleaned up the house all throughout the day. Not to mention, just the company of having her here has been amazing. So thankful that my Dad is taking care of family back home and that he is okay with my Mom being here too.
So, we are just taking one day at a time. Trying to just relax and not be busy. When I get busy I start getting contractions. My doctor told me she wants me to be on "modified bed rest" to where I sit, on the sofa, with a remote in my hand. She said no painting walls or projects, just relaxing, doing homeschool on the couch. She said no cooking gourmet meals, but maybe just getting up to make a sandwich, use the restroom, and laying back down. So, we bought a rocking recliner yesterday from someone in town so I can rock Maizy when she arrives, but so we can have it in our room for feeding times, if I get uncomfortable sleeping in bed, etc. etc. It's just nice and I'm sitting in it now. Loving it. :)
I have great peace in knowing that God has a perfect timing for Maizy to arrive. I pray that she stays in there as long as possible, but God has his perfect timing and I trust in that above all else.
No comments:
Post a Comment