Monday, November 29, 2010

The Ranch


This morning my parents and Adam left the ranch while Reese and I decided to hang back to stay for another week. After they left I hung out with Reese and worked on editing some more pictures. We had another wonderful lunch, of course cooked by my Oma, with my Uncle Werner. We thought about going to town, but then quickly decided against it due to being super tired. Wal-Mart could wait until tomorrow. In the afternoon I put Reese in her swing outside and pushed her in it until she looked like she was about to fall asleep. After putting her down for her nap I asked Oma for a big blanket that she didn’t mind being outside, grabbed a few pillows, and The Help, which is the book I’m currently reading. On a side note, if you haven’t read The Help I would recommend it! It’s really interesting so far. It really helps to provide a new perspective on how life was for African Americans post-slavery times. The story takes place during the time of Martin Luther King Jr., Montgomery Bus Boycott, etc. I took the pillows and blanket outside and found a spot under one of the big trees here. It was super windy and cool, but really just perfect in so many ways. At first I just laid there and wondered why I had not taken advantage of this before. I stared up at the branches high above and closed my eyes to listen to the wind rushing threw them, rustling the fall leaves. I read through my book, but overall just really enjoyed the natural, calming beauty that the Lord had crafted around me.






Tonight Oma and I watched the original Odd Couple and then “Eat, Love, Pray” with Julia Roberts. I will begin by saying that I enjoyed the scenery, experiencing the different cultures to the extent a movie allows, and the different foods. However, I had serious issues with certain parts of the movie. If I get in the mood to get on my soapbox I will explain my distaste with this film within a later entry. However, let me stand on my mini-soapbox for now. I have been thinking so much lately about how we think everything is about us, what we feel, and what we want. How society tells us we should follow that, despite who we hurt. If we’re not happy, get out. We are told to “find ourselves”, “love yourself”, and to “clear our minds”. It is all about what is best for us, above anything else. I have thought about the book “Your Best Life Now” by Joel Osteen, followed by other self-focused books versus books such as “It’s Not About Me” by Max Lucado. What a huge difference. Truth is, it’s not about us, or what we feel. It’s about our creator and what brings glory to Him. It’s about others and serving them. It’s about searching for and serving the Lord solely to get to know Him more. It’s about loving others above ourselves, not only for those individuals, but to bring glory to God. When we start to constantly focus on ourselves we ultimately lose our focus on Him. Okay, I’m hopping off of my mini-soapbox. I may hop back on later. I know you are in suspense now :)


I took a picture (imagine that) of a tree out in the pasture a few days ago with Adam. It was covered with auburn colored leaves and the sky was a brilliant blue that day. Tonight, I decided to paint the tree, in the field, with the blue sky. I seriously doubt I can do it justice, but I am going to make an attempt. If it turns out halfway decent I will post the picture along with a photo of my painting. Speaking of the fields and the pastures, the grass is amazing looking right now. It is tall, golden white, and rolls across the hills like snow. It has been so windy lately that it is breathtaking to watch as the gusts push through the spindly straw-like grass. I’m so thankful for everything here. Family (first and foremost), the town and it’s unique simplicity, and the untouched beauty the ranch has to offer. I look at it and it serves as a reminder of what God first intended for us.


I’m lying in bed right now, listening to Reese’s playlist, as she sleeps in the crib beside me. What a blessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment