Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Why is it so hard to spend consistent time with God?


I have heard countless people say how hard it is for them to consistently spend time with God and to have “quiet times”.  I am one of those people.  I have always gone in spurts where I am in the word every day, praying every day, and feeling SO connected with God.  Then, I will out of nowhere, fall into a dry spell where I get so busy in my own stuff that I find little time to seek Him at all.  In all honesty, I don’t even have to be technically busy.  Sometimes I just feel like things are rolling along and I may not think to spend time with Him.  

In Joyce Meyer’s message yesterday she said, “How amazing is it that we get to say, ‘Yeah, I spent the morning talking to God’?”  Now, really meditate on this.  We have been given the OPPORTUNITY to spend one on one time with the creator of the universe and he is always available to us.  No waiting.  He is just there...waiting for US to come to Him.

Many people would have loved to have had the opportunity to sit down and pick the brain of the late Steve Jobs, who co-founded Apple Inc. and under his guidance came out with the iPad, iPhone, and iPod.  He was behind the creation of many of the most groundbreaking technological advances of our time.  Many people sat down and read his biography that came out shortly after he passed away because they desired to learn more about this man, the creator, behind so many amazing things.

After listening to Joyce Meyer’s message yesterday I was suddenly struck with how amazing it is that we have a direct line to the creator of the UNIVERSE.  While Steve Jobs creating all things Apple is pretty amazing (big Apple fan here), how much more amazing is is that God is the one who crafted and designed Steve Jobs??  God allowed Mr. Jobs to have the ability to come up with these ground-breaking ideas.  He allowed him to meet the right people and to be in the right circles.  He gave him the gift of understanding technology and what people wanted.  The truly amazing thing about all of this is that we have the daily, minute to minute opportunity, to meet with our creator.  It should be something we look forward to and absolutely make the time for.

I have heard many say, “I don’t know where to start” or “I spend time with God, but I just don’t feel like he’s there”.  A great place to start is to just talk to Him.  Tell him about your day, tell him your struggles, tell him everything your thankful for, and just be still.  With the way our world is it is SO difficult just to be still, rest, and be quiet.

“Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him...”
-Psalm 37:7-

You won’t always have that “feeling”.  There are times that I leave my one on one time with God and he has really revealed something great to me.  Then, there are other times, when I may read, pray, and think, “this in no way applies to me or anything going on in my life” and that’s okay!  Our goal should be to want to know Him just for the sake of knowing Him.  It’s not about us.  It really needs to be about Him.  I have found that even when I read things that I think are not impacting me now, somehow down the road they pop back in my mind and click.

This morning, as I sat outside and read, I heard the birds chirping.  I closed my eyes to pray and immediately this verse came to mind...

“Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad;
let the sea resound, and all that is in it.
Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them;
let all the trees of the forest sing for joy.
Let all creation rejoice before the Lord, for he comes,
he comes to judge the earth.”
-Psalm 96: 11-13-

God is in everything we see and hear.  He is all around us.  Our time with God can often be simply rejoicing, thanking, and enjoying all of the blessings he has freely given us.  It doesn’t need to be complicated.  He just simply wants to spend time with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment